Aunt Carol's Matzoh Cheese Kugel

This recipe is brought to you by my hubby's aunt Carol.  But since I wasn't sure from where she got it, I went tooling around the intertubes and found recipes with similar ingredients but different quantities.  If anyone knows the origin, please send me the link or citation so I can credit the author.

My old son loves this recipe.  He called from Israel the other day, not-to-subtly hinting that I make it when he flies in for the first Seder.  Like I wasn't going to.  It's set in stone in my official passover meal rotation.  It's that good!

Aunt Carol swears that Uncle Paul will eat this recipe.  It's even typed on the recipe: "The most amazing thing is that Paul eats it and it has cheese in it.  He doesn't eat cheese, has never eaten cheese, or will he ever eat cheese even if he were starving."  A vegetarian he ain't.  So if he will eat this, anyone will.  Even people who think they hate cheese.

Aunt Carol's Matzoh Cheese Kugel
Yield:  4-6 servings

Passover cooking spray or 1 Tbs. butter (to grease baking dish)
6 matzohs
5 eggs
1 cup milk (low-fat is ok)
1 lb. cottage cheese (low-fat is ok, fat-free, not so ay-yi-yi)
1 tsp. salt (optional)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbs. butter, melted
Additional sugar for topping, if desired

Pre-heat oven to 350F.  Grease a 3 quart baking dish.  Crumble matzohs into tiny pieces into the baking dish and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, using a wire wisk, beat eggs with milk.  Add cottage cheese, salt, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.  Pour mixture evenly over matzoh pieces (no need to stir).  Use a spatula if necessary to make sure the matzoh is completely covered.

Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, then cover and continue to bake for 10 more minutes, or until the top is set.

Serve, sprinkled with sugar if desired.

Comments

  1. I've been making this for so many years I no longer remember my original source. This can also be served warm or cold,topped with jelly or powdered sugar, and as a meal or to go with coffee.

    Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case anyone is wondering, the comment above is brought to you by THE Aunt Carol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.