Spring Vegetable Soup

We are coming to what feels like day 147 of Passover, and so I really needed to make something that didn't have matzoh anywhere near the ingredients list.  This recipe is courtesy of my mother-in-law, who got this recipe courtesy of Divine Kosher Cuisine: Catering to Family and Friends (1996).  There is no chometz, so it can be served during Passover as well as all year round, although for all year round I might consider adding some ditalini or elbow macaroni.

Except for all the chopping, it's a quick parve and vegan recipe.   I started with the chopping around 5pm (well planning here), and served it around 6:15pm.  Someone with more chopping expertise could definitely shave a good 15 minutes off the prep time.

Mushrooms  were omitted, because this morning I intelligently tossed the leftover mushrooms, from yesterday's chicken "pie," into the kitchen garbage can and couldn't even consider retrieving them because on top were the remains of a glass I broke.  Say what? Don't be shocked!  Remember where mushrooms are grown; that's far worse.  The yellow squash was left out because I forgot to buy it. Because two ingredients were omitted, I diced up a white potato to replace it.  Next time I'll try to remember to keep the mushrooms and buy the squash.  It did make a difference in the final product.

The ground cloves were omitted since I didn't bother to buy the KP version.  As you can see from the vast (note: sarcasm) quantity required for the soup, it wasn't really missed.   For year round, I'd suggest doubling the amount.

I  reduced the amount of oil from 1/4 cup to 2 tablespoons, but left the original quantity in the recipe below.  Speaking of quantity, the original recipe states that it serves 12, but I think it's really closer to 8.

Although spring is in the air, I'm not sure why spring is in the name.  The only veggie that grows in my part of the country this time of year is the green onion.  I know this because the green onion I used was picked from my garden.  That, and parsley, were the only things not weeds that are currently sprouting.

Spring Vegetable Soup
Serves 12

1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 cups broccoli florets
2 small zucchini, diced
2 small yellow squash, diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 pound mushrooms, quartered
6 green onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups vegetable broth
1 28-ounce can tomatoes with juice, diced
1/4 cup packed fresh basil, chopped
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Salt and pepper to taste



Heat oil in large soup pot. Add all the fresh vegetables including garlic and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.  

Stir in broth, tomatoes with juice, basil and garlic. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender,
about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle into soup bowls and serve hot.

Comments