Very Fast Pasta Sauce

So I didn't get to make the Spinach Sauce that I promised myself  I was gonna make.  It seems that -- silly me -- I forgot to buy the creamed spinach when I headed over to the local Try 'N Save to fill my cart with all the stuff I used up prior to Passover.

But I did find a wayward can of of diced tomatoes hiding out in the basement.  Since it was 150F in my house due to the air conditioner that didn't (for a change I'm not even pregnant like I used to be every time the durned thing would go, don't ask), I streamlined the recipe a bit by omitting the garlic saute as well as the onions completely.  It turned out to be very good.  Even youngerSon who, when we ran out before he could have seconds, opened a jar of readymade, tasted it and decided that the home-made stuff was better.  But to be fair (and humble), pretty much any homemade sauce is better than the best jarred stuff.

To speed up the process even further, instead of pulling off leaves from the tiny basil plant on my windowsill and chopping 'em, I pulled out the freezer bag o' basil I had frozen this past summer, eyeballed and broke off about the right amount into my hand, then quickly (before it had a chance to defrost) crumbled it up into the tomatoes.

I didn't add salt, but mention it below in case you think it's needed.

Pasta Sauce
Serves 2

1 (14.15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
salt  to taste
1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper, or to taste
8 oz. dried pasta, style up to you
Parmesan cheese, to taste (optional)

Boil water, then add pasta and cook according to package directions.

While waiting for the water to boil, heat a small saucepan over medium flame.  Dump in the tomatoes with their juice, garlic, basil and oregano.  Stir, then let come to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low and let boil gently, stirring occasionally, until either all the liquid has evaporated or until the pasta is cooked al dente.  Add the salt, if desired, and pepper.

Dump the pasta in a colander, then run hot water over it for a few seconds to stop the cooking and to prevent sticking.  Let drain.

Divide 1/2 of the cooked pasta between 2 plates, top with sauce and optional Parmesan cheese, and serve immediately.

Comments