Fish Tacos

I had my first fish taco in California (of course).  And my second.  One using fried fish and one  grilled.  The fried version was very greasy, so my favorite by default was the grilled version.

One of the CA versions used guacamole and the other used sliced avocado, but as I'm typing I cannot recall which version used which one.  Since I like guac better than slices, I'm going with a guac recipe.

With only minor adjustments, this taco recipe started life at http://www.foodandwine.com.  If you made my recipe for cole slaw the other day and bought a large head of cabbage, then you can use the leftover to make the  tacos.

The fish tastes better if grilled, but it's easier for me to broil it instead.  The kosher fish deparment at the local Try 'n Save never seems to have red snapper, so I use flounder, tilapia or any other mild fish.  I like salmon, but not in this recipe.

Of course, the use of my guacamole recipe is preferred, but you can purchase a ready-made version with the sour cream built in and skip to the cabbage step.  Or, omit completely (like my hubby prefers) and substitute 1/3 cup sour cream mixed with a tablespoon of lime juice for extra tang.  Likewise, instead of shredding a cabbage, be lazy and open a bag of pre-shred.

Fish Tacos with Creamy Guacamole
Serves 5

1/2 recipe guacamole (or 1/2 cup store-bought)
1/4 cup sour cream (low-fat ok) or greek yogurt
1/2 small head of cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
1 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for greasing and brushing
1 Tbs. lime juice
Kosher salt and coarsely ground pepper, to taste
1 lb. of flounder, or another mild fish
5 flour tortillas (6 or 7 inch size)
1 tomato, diced
Frank's Red hot sauce (optional)

Preheat broiler.  In a medium size bowl, blend sour cream into the guacamole.   Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the guacamole mixture and set aside.

In a large bowl, toss cabbage with the oil and lime juice.  Season with salt and pepper.  Set aside.

Place fish in a single layer on lightly greased rimmed baking pan.  Lightly brush fish with oil.  Broil 8-10 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.  Cut fish into 1 inch pieces and place on serving platter. 

Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil, and toss into broiler a few minutes to warm up.

Place 1 tortilla on each plate.  Spread about a tablespoon of guacamole on each tortilla.   Top with fish, tomato and about 1/4 cup of slaw.  Sprinkle on a 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce on each tortilla, if desired, then roll up the tacos and serve immediately.

Comments