Baked Chicken with Peaches - Easy

I spend much of the early afternoon schlepping around 40 pound bags o'topsoil and planting cannas and zinnias in the front of my house.  For some reason, my back hurt afterward.  So dinner had to be rather easy to put together and not have directions that included standing for any length of time.

I vaguely remembered that last month the local newspaper had a recipe for chicken with fresh peaches and basil.  Except I didn't have the fresh peaches called for.  And I used up the frozen basil.  Luckily some parsley was still in the freezer.  And a can of peach halves was taking up space in the pantry.  So that, plus a few other changes, and voila!  I created my own new recipe!

Next to the frozen parsley was frozen okra, so I grabbed that and made it, Indian-spice style.  I'll post that recipe in a day or two.

And while digging through my recipe file for the okra recipe I rediscovered one of my cornbread recipes!  Woo-hoo, a southern feast!  The cornbread recipe will get posted after the okra.  Now on to the chicken!

Baked Chicken with Peaches
Serves 4

cooking spray
1 can (15 ozs.) sliced peaches
1 tsp. olive oil
1/4 cup sherry
2 Tbs. chopped parsley
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 whole chicken, cut-up in to quarters or eighths

Preheat oven to 375F.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil (peach juice has a tendency to burn and molecularly meld itself to a baking pan).  Lightly spray foil with cooking spray.  Drain and reserve peach syrup. 














Cut up peach halves if you didn't have the can of sliced peaches you thought you had, then set them aside.














In a small bowl, combine the peach syrup with the remaining ingredients except the chicken.

Recoil in horror as you realize that what you defrosted was NOT a whole cut-up chicken but a package of only 3 chicken breasts.  Resign yourself to eating white meat tonight instead of the dark meat you prefer.  Rinse, dry and place the chicken parts in a single layer on the baking sheet. 














Arrange peach slices around the chicken, then pour the parsley mixture over both.

Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until chicken is browned and cooked through (when cut, juices run clear).














Serve with okra and cornbread (recipes posted in the near future).

Comments