Thanksgiving Recipes pt. I -- Pecan Pie - Easy

I used to make the standard pecan pie every Thanksgiving ... you know, the recipe on every Karo Syrup bottle ever produced.  Then several years ago, theDaughter suggested a different one.  Where did she find the recipe?  Why, the internet, of course (chip off the ol' block, walking stooped over from patting myself on the back).

TheHubby never really liked my pecan pie.  He preferred the one from the local bakery.   To me the pies tasted the same. :\  But THIS pie, he eats.

Amazingly, it uses only 2 eggs, less sugar and no added butter or margarine, less ingredients than any other non-diet recipe I've seen, yet tastes better.  In Bartlett's, this recipe is given as evidence to prove true the statement "less is more." ;) 

Unfortunately, I can't make a decent pie crust to save my life.  So I'm forced to buy ready-to-bake.  So many frozen pie shells out there contain lard. :P Oronoque is kosher-parve, but there are probably others available.  For this recipe, I recommend their deep-dish variety.

Pie crusts seem to brown too fast in my oven, so if this always happens to you, Tip Alert -- cover edges with aluminum foil or the rim cut from a disposable pie tin after about 20 minutes to prevent burnt edges.

Instead of a toothpick (or my "famous" cake tester), use a table knife to test for doneness.  For me anyway, undercooked filling sticks better to a larger blade than a thin tester, thus giving a truer reading.

I'll be making pecan pie, among other goodies, next week.  But in order to get this recipe out in time to convince you of its out-of-this-world goodness, I present it now sans photos.  You're welcome!

Pecan Pie
adapted from Dohmann Pecan Farms
Yield:  one 9-inch pie (8 servings)

1 9-inch deep dish pie crust (home-made or store-bought), defrosted if frozen
1-1/4 cups pecans halves
2 large eggs
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbl. unbleached flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375F.  Spread pecans in unbaked 9-inch pie shell.

In a 1 quart measuring cup or mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs.  Mix in remaining ingredients.  Pour mixture evenly over pecans.

Bake at 375 deg F. for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between the center and the edge comes out clean. The center will still be a little bit soft (it will firm up as it cools) so do not test the center.

Cool on rack.  Serve warm or room temperature.  Store, covered, at room temperature.

Comments

  1. Believe it or not, I've never made a pecan pie. I find them too sugary and sweet. I might try this one since it seems to have lightened up in those areas. Thanks for the tips too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to warn you: the pie is still quite sweet. Just that it's less sweet. You might even have room for pumpkin pie afterwards. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.