Potato Latkes














I was not going to post a latke recipe.  I really wasn't.  Didn't think it was necessary. since there are so many MANY recipes for latkes "out there" and mine is no big deal.

So instead I planned to post a rerun recap of all the candy I made this season and start a well-deserved vacation from blogging. But yesterday I received an email from a friend, now a new Dear Reader, who implored me to post a latke recipe.  Allow me to quote a bit of his request:
I was just thinking about our upcoming Hannukah, and remembering the classical food for that holiday. I like to think of it as G-d's gift to our gastronomy, latkes. But you have no recipe in your blog for them. This is my request for such a recipe. I  ♥ potatoes, and always have.  Indeed, the very first word I said is potatolach, which is Yiddish for potatoes.
How can I refuse such a lovely request?  














My version of a latke recipe is pretty simple.  Potatoes, egg, salt, flour and oil to fry them in.  I usually add some onion as well, but after hand-grating the potatoes (my food processor is dairy and I was serving chicken alongside... gee, there's a certain holiday happening right now ... hint, hint!), I wasn't in the mood to grate another knuckle veggie as well.  So I cheated, tossing  in a little onion soup mix to the mix.  Ya know, the latkes turned out great anyway!   Golden crispy on the outside, creamy yummyness on the inside.  Sometimes I'm so impressed with the magic of cooking!

I made a small batch tonight since youngerSon won't be home until tomorrow.  However, the recipe is easily doubled and tripled... if you use the grating or shredding attachment in your food processor.  I don't recommend the blade attachment.  It's too easy to create potato glue.  My personal preference is the grating attachment and running the 'taters through twice.

Use a paper towel to help squeeze out the liquid from the grated potatoes.  Some people might try to be "green" and use a cloth towel.  I tried that once, which was once too many.  Way too much potato clung to it for dear life (enough for a few latkes at least), refusing to let go, even in the wash later. 

Serve with apple sauce (the latkes, not the towel).  Preferably homemade.  

Chanukah Sameach!  Happy Chanukah to everyone!  To my christian friends have a merry Christmas!  And if there are any Pastafarians reading this, Happy Holiday!

Potato Latkes
Yield:  about 10 latkes

2 large potatoes
1 egg
1/4 cup flour
 2 tsp. onion bouillon (optional)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt (optional if using bouillon)
vegetable oil, enough to cover bottom of skillet about 1/2 inch in depth.

 Place a few paper towels on a plate.  Set aside.

Peel and grate (or shred)  potatoes into a 4-cup measuring cup or bowl.   You should have around 2 cups of grated potatoes.















Place in strainer and press with paper towel to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.  Return potatoes to cup (or bowl).  You will have significantly less than 2 cups, depending upon the type of potatoes used.   Add egg and flour.  Optionally add bouillon and salt.  Mix well.













Set large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add oil.  Heat until hot enough to fry latkes.  TIP ALERT!  The oil will be hot enough when you dunk a corner of the spatula into the oil and tiny bubbles start to "boil" around it.













Plop large tablespoonfuls of potato mixture into the oil, gently pressing down on plops with the back of a spoon to flatten them.  Be sure to not crowd the skillet to prevent the oil's temperature from dropping and to avoid one gigantic latke.














When the edges are  golden brown (3-4 minutes), flip latkes.














Continue to cook another 3 minutes, or until golden brown.












Lift each latke and hold against side of skillet a few seconds to allow oil to drip off.
















Then place cooked latkes in a single layer on paper towels.  Cover with another paper towel to absorb excess oil.  It keeps latkes warm while allowing steam to escape, preventing latkes from getting soggy.    Repeat with remaining potato mixture.














Serve hot, with apple sauce on the side.

PS This recipe has been submitted to Real Food Digest.

Comments

  1. Happy Chanukah to you! So many different ways to say it, but it all means the same thing in the end, right? :) I've never eaten or made latkes, which surprises me because I love potatoes in any form. I'm thinking I need to remedy this. Curious about the apple sauce...most recipes I see put sour cream with these. Apple sauce works too?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.