Lemon-Blueberry Tartlets - Improv Challenge


















I joined yet another challenge group!  This one is the Improv Challenge, a monthly party hosted by Frugal Antics.  For this party, everyone takes the same two assigned ingredients, and comes up with an original dish.

My contribution is (are?) Lemon-Blueberry Tartlets, mostly because the local Try-n-Save had a sale on blueberries and mini-tart shells.  The base is exactly like lemon curd.  Except without the egg yolks.  And the butter.

Okay, it's nothing like lemon curd.   The fat and calories are replaced by sour cream and speed.  This is a fast recipe to bang out.  But since it requires a tool considered exotic by my favorite non-cooks, I am not allowed to call it easy.  But if you can handle a citrus zester without impaling yourself, then this dessert is a snap.

And very addicting.  Do not sneak a taste before serving, or else the 12 tartlets with quickly become 6.

These tartlets prove that fast, easy (oops, somewhat easy) and delicious can live together harmoniously.  I made a batch while cooking an easy dinner (spaghetti with spinach sauce) and the tartlets were finished before the pasta drained.  Good thing, because I needed the colander for the blueberries.  I really should go and buy another one.  That bulls-eye super store had some really cute ones that look as if my big one was left out in the rain and shrunk  ... but I digress ...


Lemon-Blueberry Tartlets
yield: 12 tarlets

lemon zest from 1 lemon, divided
1/3 cup sour cream (low-fat okay)
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
24-36 blueberries (depending upon size)
2 Tbl. granulated sugar
1 pkg. (12 count) mini-phyllo cups, defrosted if frozen


Pick out 12 of the longest strands of lemon zest and set aside.  Mince remaining zest, then add it to a small bowl along with sour cream, confectioner's sugar and lemon juice.  Whisk to combine. If not assembling immediately, cover and chill up to one day.














Just before serving, rinse, drain and pat blueberries dry with a paper towel.  Combine with granulated sugar and set aside a moment.













Spoon 1 teaspoon lemon mixture into each phyllo shell.













Top with 2-3 blueberries depending upon their sizes.



Top each filled shell with a strand of lemon zest. If you are more dexterous than I am, curl the strand of zest decoratively.

Serve immediately.  Don't let them sit more than 15-30 minutes or the shells will absorb moisture from the filling and lose their crispness.

very good recipe tags:  kosher, dessert, easy

Pin It


Disclaimer - because this recipe is part of an online cooking challenge, the linked recipes below might not be kosher.

Comments

  1. So purty! I can understand how they can disappear quickly :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always keep a package or two of those little phyllo cups in my freezer because you can do so much with them! And bite sized treats are WAY more fun to eat for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a fellow participant, welcome to the ICC! Great idea, and calorie conscious too =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Do not sneak a taste before serving, or else the 12 tartlets will quickly become 6."

    hahaha! That's just the occupational hazards! (The ways we sacrifice...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer tartlets to tarts. I love minis. These are sweet and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these are so gorgeous and dainty.

    So glad you are participating in Improv Challenge. This month was my second time participating and I just have so much fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute and delicious looking!Stopping by from the Improv Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty! :) Very cute idea. I love how many different takes on these two ingredients there are, excited to be a part of this challenge for the first time. My wife would love your tartlets, she is in love with blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pairing with blueberries! Yumm! Your tartlets look adorable :) I found you through the challenge - it's so fun to find new blogs run by amazing cooks and bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love these sweet little lemony bites! And I absolutely love lemons paired with blueberries! Glad that it's such a quick and easy recipe, too! Perfect for a middle of the week treat! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so yummy! I love bite-sized (portion controlled) desserts; then I don't feel so guilty eating one (or two or three. Okay, four.). Found you through the Challenge--having a lot of fun with it this month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that if I gave these a taste the 12 would become zero, delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this recipe a lot, it is one of my favourites. I`ve tried it yesterday and it was very good, my husband just loves it, thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mini desserts are always my favorites. It's a way of convincing myself that I am not eating that much...or maybe it's the ease of popping them into my mouth! These sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lemon and blueberry work so well together! Love your little tartlettes...easy (LOL,well at least for us foodies), and delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love tartlets, especially the lemony kinds. Blueberry always pairs well with lemon, so can imagine how good these must have tasted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.