Honey Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas















Welcome to this month's secret recipe club recipe!  I had the good fortune of being assigned to make a recipe from The Double Dipped Life.  Krista has a  lot of yummy-looking recipes on her blog, including one for Brazilian Cheese Rolls, which I was first going to make for the SRC, but it was already used by her only a few months ago for her contribution to the SRC.  Even though there is no rule against it, I thought I should highlight another recipe of hers so I went digging just a tad more to come up with her recipe for Honey Chipotle Chicken.  Krista presents only the chicken and sauce, allowing her own Dear Readers the opportunity to play it forward, so to speak, by offering suggestions on how to use the prepared chicken.  I quickly zeroed in on "enchiladas."  Since I happened to have a leftover rotisserie chicken chillin' in the fridge, this was a perfect opportunity to create a new meal.

Chipotle peppers, in case I haven't mentioned them before, are smoky and spicy.  If saltines set your mouth on fire, cut back to 1/2 a chipotle pepper and reduce the adobo sauce to 1 teaspoon (or replace with mild taco sauce).  Green enchilada sauce, on the other hand is quite mild so don't hold back there.  Speaking of enchilada sauce, I think next time I'll add some red enchilada sauce to the filling as well and/or top the green sauce topping with a line of red for color.

By the way, I took the one enchilada to work the next day.  I nuked it, and while it wasn't crisp at all, it was still quite tasty.  If you plan to serve these babies as leftovers, reheat uncovered in the oven at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes.   

Honey Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from: The Double Dipped Life
Yield: 6-12 enchiladas (depending upon how much filling you use for each)

2 Tbl. olive oil
4 Tbl. honey
3 Tbl. fresh lime juice (about 1 medium-sized lime)
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
2 tsp. adobo sauce (from the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce)
2 tsp. finely chopped garlic (bottled okay)
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 (10 oz.) can green enchilada sauce, divided
1 whole rottiserie chicken, skinned, boned and chopped (3-4 cups)
2 Tbl. olive oil
6-12 flour tortillas
2 Tbl. cilantro, for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Use the olive oil to heavily grease a large rimmed baking pan.  Set aside.














In a bowl, mix together the next 6 ingredients (honey through black pepper).  Stir in 2 tablespoons of the enchilada sauce.
 
Gently mix in the chopped chicken until the chicken is completely coated with the sauce.

Take one tortilla and gently smoosh one side around in the prepared baking pan to pick up some of the oil.














Then add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture along the diameter of the tortilla.














Fold over one edge, then roll up tightly.














Lay enchilada, seam side down, in the pan.  Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.














Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas.  Use the back of a spoon to make sure the exposed tortillas are moistened.  This helps to prevent burning while the filling heats up.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the enchiladas are crisped and gently toasted to your liking.

The red stuff is yesterday's beets.  I like fusion dinners.














Plate 1 to 2 enchiladas per person.  Plate 3-4 enchiladas per teen.  Sprinkle on the cilantro, if using, and serve warm.

Disclaimer - because this recipe is part of an online cooking group, the linked recipes below might not be kosher.  

Comments

  1. this sounds so flavorful and fun! mexican food is my favorite, and i love trying new flavor combos! great pick for SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just pinned your recipe & saw in your bio that you're a librarian! meeeee too :) well, almost. i'm done with classes & am writing my thesis this summer... the job search has begun, but come august it will be elevated so i can be a HIRED librarian. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to an almost colleague! I hope you become hired quickly!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that you found a recipe you enjoyed! Thanks for featuring my blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! I had Krista's blog last month and I really wanted to try one of her enchilada recipes but in Toronto I have never seen enchilada sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asiya, I have an easy red enchilada sauce recipe for you: http://ohyoucook.blogspot.com/2010/08/enchilada-sauce-easy.html

    I'll have see if I can find a good green sauce as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a GREAT recipe! LOVE it, it's lovely to meet you and your blog through SRC - visiting from group D and Lavender and Lovage! Karen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dena, these look fantastic! Yum! Definitely pinning these to try.
    I had so much fun on your blog this month and it really was a very hard decision - so many yummy things. Congrats on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool that you got tempted by a recipe she made from my blog on a past assignment! ;-)

    but I love the one you picked, chicken enchiladas with two of my favorite flavors: honey and chipotle! WOW!

    Happy (Belated) Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. honey and spicy = good! especially if you can get your hands on some good, local honey. i have some from Vancouver Island as well as some from Seattle that a friend gifted me - so on this :)

    happy src reveal, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea to use the chicken for enchiladas! They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the addition of the honey in there to offset the spicy. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful choice -- always need a new good chicken recipe! (Visiting you from SRC Group D.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.