Easy Citrus Olive Mix - Guest Post















I've been a little lazy these last few weeks.  Luckily I was able to con ... I mean convince my longtime friend and co-worker to provide today's post.

I've known Juley since our oldest kids were about 2 years old.  We met at a Mommy-and-Me program held at the local YM-YWHA, and started a friendship that continues to this day, a million years later (give or take).  I'll let Juley continue from here to introduce an awesomely delicious recipe that takes less time to assemble than to list the few ingredients!

---------

A couple of years ago, the township where I live tried to hold a weekly Farmer’s Market in the parking lot right next to the library where I work. There was one vendor who sold various kinds of pickles and olive blends. I fell in love with their Mediterranean Blend. Alas, the Farmer’s Market is no more and I had to give the treat up.

Flash forward to this past May, when on a trip to Rome, we found restaurants and bistros that served wonderful little dishes of olives in seasoned oils along with bread instead of the usual butter. My husband was now hooked. When we returned, I remembered my citrus-infused olive mania and attempted to recreate the original. Below is the current version.

Feel free to play with the amounts below, leave something completely out or add your own special touch. I understand that it sounds strange to add salt to olives but the other ingredients mellow the olives so much that at least some extra salt is needed. The longer you let the mixture sit, the more the flavors meld into something completely unlike any of the other ingredients on their own.

Citrus Olive Mix - Easy

3/4 tsp. Sea Salt
1/4 tsp. Coarse Ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Coarse Ground Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 Lime, thinly sliced
1/3 Lemon, thinly sliced
1/2 cup pitted green salad olives
Olive oil


In a 2 cup container that seals effectively, mix together salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Add a small amount of oil to blend evenly. Add lime and lemon slices along with olives. Fill with olive oil to top of mixture.

Blend with a large spoon until the olives and citrus slices are covered. Seal container and place in refrigerator.

Stir occasionally over next few days. Wait at least 4 days before serving to allow the flavors to marry.

Serve with cheese and crackers, hummus and chips, or eat straight from the container.

Lasts up to 3 months in refrigerator.

Comments