Peach Pecan Blueberry Crumble


We interrupt my library retro theme to bring you a different retro:  a fruit-packed crumble!

Fruit crumbles have been documented as far back as the mid-1800s.  Also known as crisps, they are a baked dessert composed of layers of sliced or cut-up fruit, covered with a crumbly pastry-like top.  I like it a lot when it's made with apples, but I'm mad for crumbles/crisps when made with blueberries.  But blueberries have a relatively short season in my neck of the woods.  So in early summer when they are fresh, local and at their very best, I pick up a 6-pack of pints and stuff them deep in the freezer.  When I need some berries, I simply pull out a pint and pour out what I need.  A quick rinse and they are ready for most recipes.

Why today's blueberry thrill?

Because they join juicy in-season peaches in this recipe from Lauren's blog, From Gate to Plate, my  Secret Recipe Club assignment.

Lauren grew up on a farm, became a certified chef, moved to the big city of Denver, realized she preferred small-town life, then returned to the farm and to college, receiving a degree in agriculture.  She shares her dual passion for both farm and agriculture in her blog.  One of her desserts, which I share here, showcases both:  juicy ripe peaches studded with flavor-bursting blueberries!

Amazingly, there are only a couple tablespoons of butter in her crumble, so I was easily able to substitute in margarine without any sacrifice in flavor.  Since I don't own cast iron skillets, individual or otherwise (don't judge), I baked a batch in a couple small casseroles instead without any loss of flavor.


I like the addition of the oatmeal ... it gives the topping extra crunch.  And the  bourbon gives it pizzazz.  Lauren didn't mention which kind of oatmeal to use so I went with the quick stuff.  Was wildly happy with the result.

For whatever reason, possibly because I used margarine or (the more likely) didn't cut in the margarine properly, , but it too, 25 minutes before the topped browned to my liking.  But it was worth the wait.

The servings are HUGE!  You might have to share, or else skimp on the next few meals to compensate.  Totally worth it!


Peach Pecan Blueberry Crumble
Adapted from: From Gate to Plate
Yield:  2 large servings

cooking spray
2 cups sliced peaches (about 2 peaches, depending upon size)
1/2 cup blueberries (if frozen, defrost slightly)
1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 Tbl. bourbon
2 Tbl. sugar (plus another tablespoon depending upon the sweetness of the fruit)
2 Tbl. plus 1/4 cup unbleached flour, divided
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
1/4 cup quick oatmeal
1/4 packed cup brown sugar
2 Tbl. unsalted margarine, chilled (use butter for a dairy version)

Preheat oven to 375F.   Lightly spritz two individual-sized casserole dishes with cooking spray.  Set aside.


In a 2 quart mixing bowl gently combine the peaches, blueberries, pecans and bourbon.

In a 1-quart bowl, combine the sugar, 2 tablespoons of the flour and 1/4 teaspoon of the ground cinnamon.


Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the peach mixture; gently toss to combine.  Divide mixture evenly between prepared casseroles.  Do not wash out the bowl used for the cinnamon mixture.

In that same "dirty" bowl, whisk together the remaining flour and cinnamon.  Stir in oatmeal and brown sugar. 

As you can see, I get bored easily.

Cut margarine (or butter) into mixture with a pastry blender or two knifes until margarine is evenly distributed or until you are bored.   Sprinkle over the fruit mixture.


Bake at 375F for 15-25 minutes, or until top is golden brown, checking every 5 minutes after the first 15. 


Serve warm or at room temperature.

To see other great recipes, click on this very important link! >> An InLinkz Link-up

Comments

  1. Peaches and blueberries are so awesome together. I know I would love this crumble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fruit combination. Beautiful dessert. Happy Reveal Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous! I had Lauren's blog recently and this was a recipe I almost chose too! I don't have the right fruits at home right now but I'm seriously thinking of whipping up a crumble later to satisfy my crumble cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kind of meals because of lots of friuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So perfect for the end of summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.